Thursday, March 8, 2012

Planning

I'm just barely getting started on this project, but I'm excited. I've bought some books and have been doing a lot of reading (including online). I'm also cleaning out the garage (which needed to be done, anyway) to make room for the work. I will plan on building the entire plane in a small, two-car garage. I'll have about half of it fully open for work, with part of the other half available for some storage. The rest of it contains big racks for storage (boxes, random personal possessions, etc.), a big safe, a lawnmower, and a few other sundries.


I'll be buying almost everything from Aircraft Spruce. I got the info pack for this plane which just contained photocopies of some old articles and a listing of the kits you can use to build it (which are also listed on Aircraft Spruce's website). It cost almost $20 with shipping, which kind of felt like a ripoff.


The plans are one the way ($295) and should arrive any day now.


As far as tools, I have some, but I'll be buying quite a few more during construction. That's okay. I love tools. Here's what I have:
  • table saw
  • drill press
  • router/router table
  • plate joiner (i.e., biscuit joiner)
  • worm-drive saw
  • hand power drills (battery powered and corded)
  • a variety of clamps
  • compressor
  • brad nailer
  • lots of hand tools


Something I'm very excited about is learning to weld using an oxyacetylene torch. I've been reading on it and have visited the local welding shop. I did it in high school, but that was decades ago.

I'm planning on buying a miter saw, maybe a band saw, and a variety of other new tools. I'll get them as I go.

I've been thinking about what engine I'll use (of course!!!) and I really like the Jabiru 3300. It's lighter than most alternatives and is toward the upper end of the allowable power for the Super Baby Great Lakes. The Super can take up to 125 horsepower and the Jabiru 6 cylinder has 120. This thing should fly like a bat outta hell.

2 comments:

  1. Really cool! Now you HAVE to get your license so you can fly it down here and I can fly it :=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that, too, Jill. The plane'll do about 250 miles at a pop, so I could probably make it in 7 or 8 legs—maybe about 14 hours' flying time. So, it'd be a 2- or 3-day trip, but it would be lots of fun! I could visit lots of small strips, meet new people, and stretch my legs, take bathroom breaks, and get food on a regular basis (every couple hours).

    ReplyDelete