Monday, April 13, 2015

Painting the Wing Brackets

I had never painted before, so this was a challenge. I have only very limited advice based on a couple mistakes I made.

I put the primer on too heavy and so got some runs. In prepping the brackets for paint (after priming), I then had to sand those runs down so I'd have a good, flat surface for paint. Unfortunately, I sanded through the alodine and primer to bare metal in a couple spots. It turns out that it's very difficult to cover bare metal with paint.

So, first, put the primer on light so you don't get runs. Second, sand very lightly to scuff the primer in preparation for paint. Also, make sure not to put the paint on too heavy and get runs. You can always put some extra coats on if it's not heavy enough.









No comments:

Post a Comment