Monday, March 2, 2015

Finishing the Drag Wire Assemblies

Getting ready to paint the compression tubes and drag wires with zinc phosphate

Bend the fitting apart and slide it on to the wire so that the threads are sticking out past the end. I forgot to put a washer on. Put that on first. Then screw two nuts on and tighten them against each other with about three threads showing at the end. I also added Loctite to them. They won't be adjusted or moved after this.

Add a drop of oil where the washer rests against the fitting. This will allow the wire to turn more easily during adjustment. Also, the instructions say to put one inch of threads on this end. I don't see why. Most of that isn't used. Since I'll be re-making all the drag wires (since Aircraft Spruce sent me 6061 instead of 2024 and I didn't realize it until I was done making these), I think I'll put only about a half inch of threads on the next set.

This is the end where you put about an inch-and-a-half of threads. First screw two nuts all the way on and lock them against each other. I also used Loctite on these as they are permanent. These are used simply to get a wrench on to adjust the drag wire tension. You turn the nuts to turn the wire. When I re-make these wires, I'll be careful not to get paint on the threads. I would feel better if the nuts were riding on clean metal.

After the locked nuts are in place, put on the fitting. Then add a washer and the nylon lock nut.

I just set the nylon lock nut in the fitting—don't forget the washer—and lowered it onto the wire. Then you can just tighten the nut by hand.

Here's how that end will look after you've assembled it (sans washer). Put a drop of oil where the washer will bear on the fitting. You install this into the wing as an assembly. To tighten a drag wire, simply grab the nylon lock nut with something like the pointy vise grips with the big 90-degree jaws, or maybe even just stick a big screwdriver in next to it, and turn the wire via the two locked nuts.






No comments:

Post a Comment