Sunday, April 15, 2012

About Constructing a Rib

Moon, gluing the gussets on a mostly-finished rib.







Resin, hardener, disposable glue brushes, Popsicle sticks for mixing the epoxy, and measuring and metering devices.

I suck 10 milliliters of resin out of its container and deposit it into the graduated cylinder. Then I pour 1 milliliter of hardener in on top of it. I use the Popsicle stick to mix the two together. Then, I just dip the brush into the graduated cylinder and spread the glue on the joints.

10 milliliters of resin. It looks like a bit more than that due to surface tension. Now, I'll add a milliliter of hardener.

All the pieces of a rib, ready to be glued up.

Adding the tiny nails after gluing to hold the gussets in place while the epoxy cures.

When I first build a rib, I use nails to hold the gussets in place while the epoxy cures. When I glue the gussets on the other side of the rib, after removing it from the jig a day after building it, I place the jig (with a new rib in it) on top of it overnight. The weight from the jig provides plenty of pressure to give good joints.

No comments:

Post a Comment